Can I change how much I pay for child support?

You can only change the terms of your child support order with the approval of the court. If you have recently had a change in circumstances like a job loss or reduction in income and are seeking to pay less, or if need to receive a higher payment, you will need to ask the court for a modification of your existing child support order. Even if you and your former spouse agree on a change in payment terms, simply making new arrangements is not advisable because they are legally unenforceable. Also, if you become delinquent in your payments there may be severe consequences including wage garnishment and charges of contempt of court for violating the original child support order.

If you need to modify your child support arrangement or have any other child support concerns, please contact us for a consultation to discuss your case.

Powered by Scroll: Legal Marketing 

Close Menu